Monday, June 27, 2011

Geek Chic Cosmetics Review

*sighs a breath of relief*


Finally. I've finally gotten everything together to do this review, and believe you me I've been chompin' at the bit to get it up. 


Disclaimer: The following products were purchased with my own money. All opinions are my own.


I first leaned about Geek Chic Cosmetics when I was browsing Phyrra's Blog (y'all need to check it out), and I was instantly intrigued. GCC was started by two ladies, Chantel and Deb, who combined their love of video games and makeup. The result was Geek Chic Cosmetics, and I am in love. 


Their eyeshadow collections are inspired by everything from World of Warcraft to Zelda, from Mario to Portal, and from True Blood to Geek Culture in itself. But the collection that got me, pretty much hook, line and sinker, was their "Big Damn Heroes" collection. Why? Because it was inspired by one of my all time favorite shows: Firefly So, let's add that one to the cart.


But wait, there's more! Another of their collections is "The Single Player" collection which features eyeshadows such as "Chewy", "Newb", and "Katamari King." So which one did I order? "Solid Snake" of course! Metal Gear was pretty much a staple in my childhood. I look back fondly on the memories I have of watching my Dad play it, and laughing at him mercilessly when he died. I was a lovely child. "Solid Snake", is now officially added to the cart.


Of course, there's more. I had to pick a blush as well, and this one was an absolute must. As my best friend can tell you, every time I go into Sephora I have to swatch Nars "Orgasm" blush for two reasons: 1) the color is absolutely gorgeous 2) It's called "Orgasm". I'm pretty much in love with the color. When I saw GCC's "Nerdgasm", I rejoiced! It was not only the perfect dupe for the Nars blush, but it was very easy on the pocketbook. The Nars blush retails at around $34, whereas "Nerdgasm" is a lovely $9.99. Yeah, I was instantly sold.


Now onto swatches!


Here's the whole shebang. They also sent me a sample baggie of "Matriarch" from their N7 collection

Here's the first shadow from the "Big Damn Heroes" collection. I absolutely love this color. It's super pigmented and goes on very smoothly, and it's just a gorgeous dark mauve.

Shadow #2. My camera just does not do this color justice at all. It's such a gorgeous smokey medium blue with a smidge of sparkle.

This is another one of my favorites from this collection. When I first applied it it reminded me a bit of "Cobra" from the Urban Decay Black Palette, but it's definitely its own shade- and thankfully noway near as dark. And the reflects glitter in it is divine.

Oh Captain Tightpants. First of, the name is friggin awesome- I mean seriously. As with "A Very Fine Hat", I was also reminded of an Urban Decay eyeshadow- Baked to be exact. But whereas "Baked" is pretty much gold, this shadow is a fabulous copper, and it makes a lovely inner corner highlight.

Yet another color that my camera does not do justice. This color is a great olive green color, and when applied over a pale green base it pops like nothing else.

Lets just take a moment shall we? Just to soak up the awesomeness of this color.
....
Yeah. It's pretty much amazeballs. "Solid Snake" is definitely my favorite of the eyeshadows that I ordered. It's just such a gorgeous navy blue with royal blue reflects glitter. Ugh. It's just so friggin awesome. Mmmm.

This blush is fabulous. The texture is quite lovely, and the color payoff is excellent. It is a loose blush, which I'm still trying to get the hang of, but it's all good.


Now to the nitty gritty.

Pros:
  • Affordable
  • Fast shipping, and the package was well packed- including pink tissue paper.
  • Excellent customer service. They sent an email out when the order was placed, and one to let us know when it was shipped. They even wrote out a personalized thank you on the invoice. Pretty awesome.
  • Excellent quality
  • Small ingredients list. All ingredients are listed on their containers as well as their website.
  • Cruelty free and Vegan (except for their lipsticks- beeswax)
  • It's a Geek centered makeup company. What more could you want?
Cons:

  • I wish the packaging was a bit bigger, but that's just because I love the products so much. :)



So. There you have it. Please go check out their website, trust me it's worth it.


*Just a note, all the eyeshadows were applied over E.L.F. Eyeshadow Primer.

Leave me some comments, and spread the Peachy love.

Catch you on the flipside, My Freaky Darlings. <3








2 comments:

ShinkenRed said...

Awesome review. I'll be reviewing Fang Banger's Quartet soon.

Aimee said...

Thanks so much! I'll definitely keep an eye out for your review. Fang Banger's Quartet was definitely another one that caught my eye.

Post a Comment